Monday, October 10, 2016

Afternoon Tea at Fortnum and Masons

It was over a year ago that I left my last company, but it was only recently that I utilised their gift of an afternoon tea at Fortnum and Masons. They were such lovely people to work with and their gift (which was combined with my birthday gift) was extremely generous and thoughtful. I love an afternoon tea. LOVE it.

Anyway, I used the opportunity to take my good friend Emma out, since she lives out of London it's so rare I get a good chance to catch up with her and luckily she was very much interested in an afternoon of tea, cake and chat!

Afternoon Tea September 2016

The Diamond Jubilee Tea Salon can be located in Piccadilly on the top floor of their shop. It is beautifully elegant with attentive, well-dressed wait staff and some beautiful piano being played in the background. The perfect setting for a good catch up!

Afternoon Tea September 2016

Afternoon Tea September 2016

Your bottom layer is finger sandwiches. Coronation chicken, egg and cress, cucumber and cream cheese and ham and mustard. The quintessential afternoon tea sandwiches. It suffices to say that Emma and I put these away in fairly impressive time.

Afternoon Tea September 2016

Scones...my God, I live for scones. These, I'm sorry to say, were not the best scones I have ever had. They were a little crumbly for my liking and I made an enemy of them when they gave way under my lashings of cream and jam. Delicious none-the-less though, once they surrendered to their unwelcome cream, jam hats.

Afternoon Tea September 2016

The cream itself, I could write a page on, but I'll sum it up as the best clotted cream Emma or I have ever had. We went through two mini tubs.

Afternoon Tea September 2016

Your top layer is cake. We struggled here, at which point I feel it is worth mentioning that your fortnum and mason cake and sandwich stand is replenish-able. Emma and I did not exercise this option as we couldn't even finish one stand. I had the yellow macaroon looking thing on this plate but, I'm a bit particular with cakes so I wasn't overly fussy on anything here.

Afternoon Tea September 2016

The tea itself was very, very nice. And Emma, in her loveliness, got me a tin of the tea I enjoyed throughout our afternoon event. I'm actually nearing halfway through it as I have completely eschewed the PG tips available in my work kitchen in favour of this loose-leaf blend of deliciousness. It's called Queen Anne and it's a ceylon and assam blend, for those who like their tea. It does give a more delicate taste than your average tea bag and I'm usually a girl who likes my tea strong, but the flavour with this tea outweighs any teabag.

Afternoon Tea September 2016
I'd definitely venture back here for a treat...it's worth it for the cream alone!

Afternoon Tea September 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment