Thursday, February 20, 2014

Borough Market and V&A

When I worked in Paris, there was one girl in my office who was always so lovely to chat to, so, when I left, I happily told her that whenever she was in London, she had to let me know. And so, she did! Pressure was on for me to think of some good London things to show her...and the weather was NOT on my side...but I did my best - starting with lunch at Borough Market.

V&A Feb 2014
V&A Feb 2014
V&A Feb 2014

We bought a couple of sticks of this cheesy olive bread from Bread Ahead - recommended! Even Lucie, from the country who really knows their bread, agreed that this was amazing. We grabbed some more substantial food from the stalls, Lucie had a pork belly roll with crackling and apple sauce from Roast - and I'm happy to say she was very impressed with the English food (WIN!). Luckily, just as we were finishing our food, the sun decided to make an appearance, so we walked towards Embankment along the river so Lucie could see some of the sights.

V&A Feb 2014
V&A Feb 2014
V&A Feb 2014
We walked all the way along and took the tube to South Kensington where we felt we needed a sit down so I dragged Lucie into Le Pain Quotidien because, even though it's not strictly 'English' (at all), I LOVE LOVE LOVE their scones, which are very English.

V&A Feb 2014
V&A Feb 2014
After tea, coffee and the biggest scone known to mankind, Lucie and I sat in our little corner seat and chatted, and tried not to fall asleep. Eventually, we dragged ourselves back out into the cold and round the corner to the V&A museum, which I have never actually been to before!

V&A Feb 2014
V&A Feb 2014
It's amazing, there's an impressive mix of old and modern art. Lucie and I spent a lot of time looking at the fashion through the ages section.

V&A Feb 2014
V&A Feb 2014
V&A Feb 2014
V&A Feb 2014
I fell a little bit in love with the polka dot dress.

V&A Feb 2014
Lucie tried on a retro hoop and petticoat, doors must have been a lot wider back then!

V&A Feb 2014

Unfortunately, we left it a bit late and the museum closed too soon for us to see everything. So, we headed to Covent Garden for some dinner and pubbage. So, I hope I showed Lucie enough of London...it's funny how hosting a tourist can make you realise how little you actually enjoy the city you're in...I'm going to have to make more of an effort to get out and about!

2 comments:

  1. Love Borough Market, yum! I've actually never been to the V&A either, probably should add it tto my list xx
    The perks of being a hipster

    ReplyDelete