Monday, April 8, 2013

Portobello Rd, Portobello Rd

When Ben suggested a trip to Portobello Market I instantly started singing the song from Bedknobs and Broomsticks before launching into how I 'wasn't really a market person'. An hour later I changed my mind in the interest of getting out the house and I am seriously glad I did!

Portobello Rd April 2013
Generally, I don't like crowds, and the market was rammed, standard for a Saturday afternoon, but I kinda got used to it after a while.

Portobello Rd April 2013
There's some fantastic street stalls selling antiques and random bits and bobs, which are fun to browse, though probably not something I'd ever buy!

Portobello Rd April 2013
I got pretty excited when we got down to the food sections though!

Portobello Rd April 2013
I bought one of the delicious looking spinach things at the front...though I have to say it was a little disappointing, thought it would be cheesier. My highlight of the day though was THIS!

Portobello Rd April 2013
I discovered harissa a year ago now. Had it on a hot dog in Borough Market and when I moved to Paris, it was readily available fresh in the shops next to the houmous. I developed a pretty serious addiction to it (it's AMAZING on a burger and shove it in any curry to add spice and flavour) and have been hunting for it since I got back to London. I found a paste version in M&S but it was nothing like the original. When I saw this I grabbed Ben and went HARISSA. He was busy eyeing up some pretty impressive looking baguettes at the stall next door so threw me a 'get it then' and disappeared. Upon tasting it, it is EXACTLY what I've been after, and to think I was making plans to make bi-monthly trips to Paris to stock up on it (and wine, obviously). Anyway, if you like spiciness - take a trip to Portobello Market and add this to your burger. YUM.

Portobello Rd April 2013
So, I totally think this is a good shout for a Saturday, especially if you like to shop! I bought myself a very adorable dress! You can find out about the market here. A little over an hour having a browse and me and Ben went off for a drink in the pub, and a fish finger sandwich...

Portobello Rd April 2013

Seriously. Can't take him anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment