Friday, April 12, 2013

Cooking with Ben: Chicken Katsu

OK - so, I have to admit, when I moved in with Ben I thought he was a better cook than me. I have since realised I have been mislead...the boy has no clue in the kitchen (he thinks he does though so shhh). Anyway, the other night Ben was cooking - you can get the actual recipe here, but I'll show you how it went for Ben...

Dip your chicken breasts in a beaten egg.

Chicken Katsu
Then dip it in the bread crumbs -

Chicken Katsu

Chicken Katsu
Nice coverage there Benjamin...onto the sauce:

Chicken Katsu
Crush and chop your garlic...Ben apparently prefers to crush by hand.

Chicken Katsu
Chop your chilli - which is meant to go in the rice, but Ben threw it in the sauce by accident - oh well.

Chicken Katsu
Mix all your sauce ingredients in a bowl - garlic plus this lot -

Chicken Katsu
Add water and cornflour...

Chicken Katsu
And for the rice....

Chicken Katsu
Boil peas, and, Ben's biggest tip...

Chicken Katsu
Boil in a bag rice....oh Ben, you know how to treat a girl...

Chicken Katsu
End result, the chicken was pretty awesome but the sauce was a little bland...learn from Ben's mistakes and taste as you go ;-)

And for anyone doubting I can do any better...the pork stir fry we had last night - I win Ben, sorry.
Recipe here - but I substituted chilli sauce for harissa to make it a bit spicier.

2 comments:

  1. haha i love how he crushes the garlic by hand! i'v never seen someone do that before! :D

    ReplyDelete