Sunday, August 26, 2012

Cabbage Crust Quiche


I am trying to be a bit healthier - I'm not entirely sure how healthy I could consider this to be but it's a Cabbage Crust Quiche - all the delicious-ness of quiche without the calories included by the pastry crust - and it was pretty damn tasty! If you're a better cook than me yours will be even better!

Anyway, here's the weird quiche recipe, I actually really enjoy this, and I will definitely be making it again! This is based on this recipe I found here. I did a few things wrong/different, but hey, I was happy with how mine turned out!

You will need:
cabbage
1 leek
mushrooms
2 onions
olive oil
cheese (I'm not sure what cheese it was I picked up though I think it was gruyere...)
2 eggs
cream (1 cup) - I used the whole packet I picked up.

Preheat oven to gas mark 4/350 Fahrenheit/175 celcius


Boil some water and blanche the cabbage leaves.


Use the cabbage leaves to line the oven proof dish - try to make sure there's no gaps for the mixture to seep through.


Two onions, dice them and sauté them in olive oil.


Add your quiche ingredients, I chose leek and mushroom but spinach and leek is the original suggestion in the recipe!


Whilst this is frying, mix two eggs in a bowl with your cream. I used creme fraiche, full fat.



Then I cut up little chunks of cheese, and added them but I would assume it would be better to get a cheese you can actually grate so next time I might search out some good old fashioned chedder! Or maybe comté or parmesan and just use a little less since they are much stronger cheeses.


Add salt and pepper for seasoning.



Once the leek and mushroom are about cooked - add them into your egg mixture.


And pour it into the dish to go into the oven. Cook for about 30 minutes, I think I left mine in for 40 in the end.


Slice into 4 and one should be sufficient as a serving, a side salad would be nice, I like baby leaf salad (rocket/spinach) with a little balsamic - yum!



It was pretty tasty! Don't get me wrong, a regular quiche is better, I love the crusty pastry, but this is a bit different and you won't feel like you have to hit the gym afterwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment