Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Film Review: The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)

Those who know me know that I am a bit of a film nut! Having recently packed up my DVDs I can confirm I own over 500 movies…these range from teenage Disney films (I don’t care, I love the Princess Diaries) to Darren Aronofsky’s Requiem for a Dream. 

No blog of mine would be complete without the odd movie review so here is the first.
Last night I saw The Amazing Spider-Man (2012). From what I hear, it got mixed reviews by the critics. Personally, I really enjoyed it! 



(not my own picture)
To be fair the film was already half way to making it into my pre-ordered DVD wait list due to it being a superhero film – I absolutely love them, add Andrew Garfield into it and I am sold! Throw Emma Stone in and I am super excited to see this movie!

Don’t get me wrong – there’s nothing new to look forward to here. It is standard superhero stuff and you’re going to know the plot line way before you take up your cinema seat, but Andrew Garfield brings something new that Tobey Maguire didn’t. His character is written less as the quintessential ‘geek at school’  but more your typical high schooler, not quite sure how to handle himself around girls and having to deal with that one bully every American school seems to have, but it’s less cliché than before and you believe it more – I guess I would term it as being less out and out Hollywood.



(not my own picture)
Also, I have to say, that the first scene in which he discovers his new found powers is absolutely brilliant and by far trumps the fight Tobey Maguire has in the school corridor. 

The major difference which I really appreciate is Emma Stone. I don’t think many people would argue that we’ve seen her in everything recently from comedy Easy A to fantastic drama The Help and she has truly earned her MTV Trailblazer award. What I appreciate is that her character has been written nothing like Kirsten Dunst was. No damsel in distress screaming and helplessness for her! She plays an essential role in the film and is not the dull but necessary love interest that Kirsten Dunst was. 



(not my own picture)
My only issue with the film are those scenes written in specifically for the 3D audience. Personally, I am not a fan of 3D – it doesn’t excite me, and those scenes that are clearly included solely for the 3D effect really bother me, they look ridiculous in the standard movie. Thankfully they’re not gratuitous so they weren’t enough to turn me off to the film. 

Really loved it actually! Though there were four of us there and whilst Lynsey and I came out with plenty of praise, Tom and Chris weren’t so impressed and proceeded to pick at certain points. Could it be that this is a superhero film preferred by girls! Imdb would seem to say otherwise, at time of writing an impressive 7.7. 


I give it 3 out of five popcorns (that’s right – a rating system!) Most definitely enjoyable if nothing new! Go see it if you like superhero films and don’t mind already knowing what the story line’s going to be!




No comments:

Post a Comment